Commodore C64 PSU by Electroware: to protect your Commodore C64 system from the killing voltages coming out of the 40 years old Commodore “brick of death” PSU!
GET READY FOR C64 PSU
The old Commodore C64 PSU is the most common C64 failure cause ever. We know it and thanks to our continuous educating mission, most of C64 users are aware of this fact already. That’s good!
Our C64 PSU is modern, replacement power supply unit for Commodore C64 and VIC20. Provides stable filtered 5VDC (up to 4.0A!) by industrial grade AC/DC power supply and full 9VAC (1,11A max) provided by classic heavy duty linear transformer unit. It is all integrated into small enclosure and dimensions similar to the original Commodore PSU. Durable, professionally molded enclosure assures good air ventilation, mechanical protection and electrical isolation.
The 5VDC output is now upgraded to 4.0A allowing to use the C64 to C128 cable adapters.
THE SCOPE OF THE CLONE HUNTING GAME
For many years we are listening to your feedback and offering the unique, new replacement PSU for Commodore computers. Thanks to continuous contact with Commodore users community worldwide our PSU is getting better with every feedback we receive. It’s 10th revision offered now, always designed with retro computing love and by active C64 users.
We are proud to say that our original PSU design becomes an industry standard, accepted and valued worldwide. What a pity it has been copied and crippled by many other sellers hungry for “easy” profit. Offering PSU packed in fancy enclosures & stuffed with tons of ridiculous marketing slogans like “designed from scratch”. Please beware of these copies as we can’t take responsibility for their quality, safety features and overall performance.
THE FULL FEATURED C64 PSU
- Commodore C64 “breadbox”, C64C, C64D & VIC20 compatible
- Stabilized & filtered 5VDC now upgraded to 4.0A output (20W)!
- 9VAC up to 1.11A (10VA) output by real heavy duty trafo (new model, now voltage matches the original!)
- Carefully calibrated for C64 reference load (fixed version)
- 5VDC voltage fine tuning feature available with Adjust & Protect Module option.
- Multiple active & passive over current and over voltage protections
- Fully isolated, fused on AC and DC side
- Power On/Off switch
- Status LED
- Long output cable (1.8m) with round DIN 7-pin plug
- Detachable input AC cable for UK and EU (cable included)
- Fixed input AC cable for USA and AU versions
- Weight only 0.6 KG (2x less than original)
- Runs COLD!
POKE LEVEL UP WITH “ADJUST & PROTECT MODULE” ADD-ON OPTION
Protection & Adjustment hardware feature is offering the basic 5VDC voltage fine tuning feature in safe limited range of 4.9-5.3 VDC (readings for C64C connected as a reference load). Now you can set the exact 5VDC for your system as due to the ageing and variety of modern peripherals available nowadays, the current draw and voltage drop on the cable (and on/off switch) is different for each particular C64 system. As the current PSU is universal and 4A capable it’s possible to power the C128 computer with use of C64-tio-C128 cable adapter. At lease the basic voltage adjustment is the great option when switching from C64 to C128 and opposite as C128 draws much more current and causes larger voltage drop on the cable, connectors and computer’s power switch.
But if you are looking for more advanced adjustable solution (better range and precision, best quality components, low ripple) please refer to our C64 PRO PSU model.
Purchasing the adjustable version? Great! You may be interested in Voltmeter making the calibration easier. Check it out: C64/C128/VIC-II Voltmeter
UNIQUE FEATURES & QUALITY
Stay with the original Electroware products to gain top build quality, unique features unavailable with the clone products:
- ON/OFF switch (save the environment by turning the PSU off totally and save your C64’s main switch as it broke very often)
- Detachable AC input cable for EU and UK (we deliver 1.8m cable but you can use much longer cables if necessary). Fixed 1.8m cable for USA and AU versions.
- Status LED (green)
- 100% repairable, easy to disassemble by qualified technician, spare parts available.
- All electric cables terminated with the industrial grade, detachable wire-to-board connectors. There’s no amateur and dangerous direct wire-to-board soldering!
- Unique 5VDC voltage adjusting add-on option avaialble.
TRUST & RESPONSIBILITY
Every single Electroware C64 PSU unit is triple tested before dispatch. To assure flawless quality and long lasting performance we are testing with original Commodore gear from our collection as well as by burn-in test with customized load simulating devices causing 150% overload (comparing to regular C64 system).
Stay with the original Electroware products to gain top build quality, unique features unavailable with the clone products.
By purchasing this product you are supporting the C= community worldwide and contributing to our continuous developing process. Thank you!
Risk of electrical shock and energy hazard when opened. All failures should be examined by a qualified technicians only. Risk of fire or electrical shock. The ventilation holes should be protected from foreign objects or dripping liquids. Please do not install power supplies in places with high ambient temperature or close to the heat source. Enclosed power supplies are intent to work in indoor locations, it’s not allowed to use power supplies outdoor, in dust or high moisture. Output current and output wattage must not exceed the rated values.
This replacement C64 PSU has been designed for Commodore 64 & VIC20 vintage computer systems only and should be considered as an integral component of C64/VIC20 computer system. Do not connect to any other devices as it’s not a general purpose PSU. Manufacturer is not responsible for any consequences of unauthorised or arbitrary repairs, modifications or incorrect usage. Please notice that new, properly working replacement C64 PSU is reducing the system’s potential fail rate but still is not guaranteeing that entire C64 system will work correctly (it’s often 40+ years old).